Monday, July 17, 2006

Memorial of Saint Alessio (Alexis) of Rome

(you can click the picture to embiggen)

Throughout my travels, I have gained devotions to some Saints just because I have been to their tombs. I often have the code, "I am going to visit some friends in Rome," which actually means I am going to make a pilgrimage to some tombs of the Saints.

One of those is celebrated today, Saint Alessio. His church is in Rome on the Aventine Hill between Sant'Anselmo (the Benedictine College) and Santa Sabina (where Saint Dominic stayed when in Rome).

The picture above is a statue of where he died. I assume that the stairs in the case are the actual stairs under which he lived. My Italian is poor, so I couldn't find out. You can learn more about his life at the Patron Saint Index.

(As a side note, the "relief" on the right edge of the picture, you'll have to click the picture to really see it, is actually just a painting and not an actual relief.)

2 comments:

dadwithnoisykids said...

embiggen?

neat picture

Roman Sacristan said...

Yes, I know it is not a word, but it is so much better than the usual, boring, "click to enlarge." LOL.